Beloved, we must affirm the “Covenant” by walking committed to the “Communion Table” benefits. This is our fellowship walk of “Destiny Life”!
John 6:53-69 (TPT)
“53 Jesus replied to them, “Listen to this eternal truth: Unless you eat the body of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you will not have eternal life.54 Eternal life comes to the one who eats my body[a] and drinks my blood, and I will raise him up in the last day.55 For my body is real food for your spirit and my blood is real drink. 56 The one who eats my body and drinks my blood lives in me and I live in him.[b]57 The Father of life sent me, and he is my life. In the same way, the one who feeds upon me, I will become his life.58 I am not like the bread your ancestors ate and later died. I am the living Bread that comes from heaven. Eat this Bread and you will live forever!”
59 Jesus preached this sermon in the synagogue in Capernaum.
Many Disciples Became Offended
60 And when many of Jesus’ followers heard these things, it caused a stir. “That’s disgusting!” they said. “How could anybody accept it?”[c]
61 Without anyone telling him, Jesus knew they were outraged and told them, “Are you offended over my teaching? 62 What will you do when you see the Son of Man ascending into the realm from where he came?[d]
63 “The Holy Spirit is the one who gives life, that which is of the natural realm[e] is of no help. The words I speak to you are Spirit and life. But there are still some of you who won’t believe.” 64 In fact, Jesus already knew from the beginning who the skeptics were and who his traitor would be.
65 He went on to say, “This is why I told you that no one embraces me unless the Father has given you to me.”
Peter’s Confession of Faith
66 And so from that time on many of the disciples turned their backs on Jesus and refused to be associated with him.[f] 67 So Jesus said to his twelve, “And you—do you also want to leave?” 68 Peter spoke up and said, “But Lord, where would we go? No one but you gives us the revelation of eternal life. 69 We’re fully convinced that you are the Anointed One, the Son of the Living God,[g] and we believe in you!”Read full chapter
- 6:54 To eat his flesh is to take into our life by faith all that Jesus did for us by giving his body for us. To drink his blood is to take by faith all that the blood of Jesus has purchased for us. This “eating” and “drinking” is receiving the life, power, and virtue of all that Jesus is to replace all that we were in Adam. Jesus’ blood and body is the Tree of Life, which is offered to everyone who follows him.
- 6:56 The Aramaic is “He that eats my body and drinks my blood is strengthened in me and I in him.”
- 6:60 Jesus knew that these words were offending the religious Jews. To eat flesh that was not kosher was a violation of the law; how much more so to eat human flesh. Drinking blood of any kind was also forbidden (Lev. 17:11–12). The imagery is similar to Ezekiel who “ate the scroll” (of the Word, Ezek. 3:1–15).
- 6:62 The greatest offense of all will be the cross where Jesus will soon be crucified, and they will watch him surrender his Spirit to the Father in death. See 1 Cor. 1:18–25; Gal. 5:11.
- 6:63 The Aramaic is “the body.”
- 6:66 Jesus went from feeding five thousand to offending five thousand. They wanted him to feed them, but didn’t want Jesus alone to be their feast.
- 6:69 As translated from the Aramaic. Although many Greek scholars believe this is borrowed from the Synoptic Gospels, and is found in variant forms in Greek texts, the Aramaic and many Greek manuscripts have “You are the Christ, the Son of the living God.”
Timothy S. Lewis
Hebrews 13:20-21 (TPT)
Apostolic Blessing and Conclusion
“20 Now may the God who brought us peace by raising from the dead our Lord Jesus Christ so that he would be the Great Shepherd of his flock; and by the power of the blood of the eternal covenant 21 may he work perfection into every part of you giving you all that you need to fulfill your destiny. And may he express through you all that is excellent and pleasing[a] to him through your life-union with Jesus the Anointed One who is to receive all glory forever! Amen! Read full chapter”